The COVID-19 Island Insights Series is an initiative led by the Strathclyde Centre for Environmental Law & Governance (SCELG) and the Institute of Island Studies (IIS) in collaboration with Island Innovation. The Series aims to bring together critical assessments of how specific islands around the world have performed during the COVID-19 pandemic and the extent to which their recovery plans are able to promote long term resilience and sustainability.
The COVID-19 Island Insights Series will lead to a series of “thematic primers” aimed at assisting policy makers and wider island related stakeholders to encourage islands to move to a more resilient and sustainable future.
Every two weeks, Island Innovation will release COVID-19 Island Insights Series from two different islands via their website.
COVID-19 Island Insights Series Reports
- Malta (Marie Briguglio and Stefano Moncada | 2 November 2020)
- Egadi Islands (Giulia Sajeva | 2 November 2020)
- Grenada (John N. Telesford | 16 November 2020)
- Trinidad & Tobago (Preeya S. Mohan & Richard Ramsawak | 16 November 2020)
- Shetland (Andrew Jennings | 24 November 2020)
- Åland Islands (Petra Granholm | 24 November 2020)
- Okinawa Islands (Hiroshi Kakazu | 14 December 2020)
- Guam (Romina King | 14 December 2020)
- Mauritius (Verena Tandrayen Ragoobur | 8 February 2021)
- Seychelles (Malshini Senaratne | 8 February 2021)
- Aotearoa New Zealand (Gerard Prinsen | 23 February 2021)
- Hawai’i (Marina Karides | 23 February 2021)
Islands covered by the COVID-19 Island Insights Series (subject to change):
COVID-19 Island Insights Series is presented in partnership with
Island Innovation | Strathclyde Centre for Environmental Law & Governance | Institute of Island Studies
- IIS Research Associate Graeme Robertson has compiled a report titled One year timeline of COVID-19 pandemic impacting islands worldwide, which is available for download here. The main purpose of this report is to act as a resource enabling all those who are interested to undertake further research, and it features over 600 articles documenting the impacts of COVID-19 on islands around the world from January 2020 to February 2021. Learn more | Download PDF
INSTITUTE OF ISLAND STUDIES | UNIVERSITY OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
© 2021 Institute of Island Studies, University of Prince Edward Island. All rights reserved.