The Master of Arts in Island Studies (MAIS) at the University of Prince Edward Island is a unique, interdisciplinary, and policy-driven graduate program that critiques islands on their own terms.
The program welcomes students from around the world. They come out of undergraduate programs from diverse disciplinary backgrounds and diverse degrees, or with professional workplace experience in the public, private, or resource sectors.
The program offers a challenging opportunity for students with:
- a special interest in researching islands: their societies, economies, histories, cultures, governments, geographies, and environments
- an interest in public policy and administration
- career aspirations within local, regional, national, and international governmental and non-governmental organizations
- career aspirations in the private and resource sectors
- a desire for the challenge of graduate education.
Students may adopt a comparative approach to study islands or explore a topic or issue that is crucial to one island. Either way, the program will prepare students with the practical research skills and knowledge they need to succeed in a world increasingly defined by interconnections and interactions among peoples and regions.
For application and admission information and complete course descriptions, please visit the Master of Arts in Island Studies page on the UPEI website.
Island Studies Minor at UPEI
Island Studies is an interdisciplinary Minor program designed to promote an understanding of selected features of the world’s small islands, including their geographies, ecologies, cultures, political systems, histories, and societies.
The program has three primary goals:
- to engage students in an emerging, international academic discussion of islands’ distinctive characteristics, challenges, and opportunities
- to study Prince Edward Island as a specific example of an island bearing these characteristics and playing out these challenges and opportunities
- to study islands in a comparative and international framework
For application and admission information and complete course descriptions, please visit the Island Studies Minor program page on the UPEI website.
Click here to view and download our brochure.
Connect with us:
To subscribe to our newsletter, send us an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org