Recent Settlers to Prince Edward Island
A series of studies looking at recent settlers to Prince Edward Island, conducted by Dr. Godfrey Baldacchino and colleagues from 2005–2010.
2010: Internationally Educated Health Professionals in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
This 2010 co-authored by Dr. Godfrey Baldacchino and Patricia Saunders served as a follow-up study to the 2007 ‘Stories and Voices‘ research, looking at internationally educated health professionals (IEHPs) in Atlantic Canada. The study was commissioned by IEHP Atlantic Connection.
2009: The Host Program and Immigrant Retention on Prince Edward Island
This study investigated the Host Program and Immigrant Retention on Prince Edward Island. The study was supported by the Atlantic Metropolis Centre, and benefitted from the full cooperation and partnership of the PEI Association of Newcomers to Canada.
The study report was co-authored by Dr. Godfrey Baldacchino, Lisa Chilton (Department of History, University of Prince Edward Island), and student research assistants Shine Ji-Youn Chung and Benjamin Mathiang.
2008–2009: Immigrant Entrepreneurs on Prince Edward Island
This study, conducted with the assistance of graduate research student Crystal MacAndrew Fall and photographer Alanna Jankov, profiles 60 immigrant entrepreneurs on Prince Edward Island.
The study report, Immigrant Entrepreneurs on Prince Edward Island, was completed for the Population Secretariat of the Provincial Government of Prince Edward Island and published in 2009.
An official launch, presided by PEI Innovation Minister Allan Campbell, was held on July 9 2009.
2007–2008: Challenges faced by Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs) on Prince Edward Island: Stories and Voices
A 2007 study, supported by Health Canada through IEHP Atlantic Connection, looks at the Challenges faced by Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs) on Prince Edward Island. The study was undertaken in parallel to similar ones in the other three Atlantic provinces. The report, co-authored by Dr. Godfrey Baldacchino with Michelle Hood (PEI Association of Newcomers to Canada), was published in February 2008.
- Summary of the survey’s findings
- Full report (PDF)
- PowerPoint (Slides) based on the report findings
- Complimentary Powerpoint presentation about the IEHP Program administered by the PEI Association of Newcomers to Canada (Prepared by Melanie Bailey)
2005–2006: Recent Immigrants to Prince Edward Island: Stories and Voices
A survey of Recent Immigrants to Prince Edward Island was undertaken in 2005, and the resultant report was pubilshed in 2006. The study solicited stories and voices of immigrants about the reasons for coming to, and staying on, PEI. The study was kindly supported by the Population Secretariat of the PEI Provincial Government.
- To read or download a summary of the survey and its findings (4 pages) in English, click here.
- To read or download the full report (85 pages) in English, click here.
- To read or download the information letter, consent form and questionnaire (9 pages) in English, click here.
- Pour lire le sommaire en version française (5 pages), cliquez ici.
Two further documents, based on the same study, commissioned by the PEI Population Secretariat, were made available as of February 2007:
- Compendium of Suggestions for Improvement by Recent Settlers to PEI
- Compendium of Testimonials by Recent Settlers about what they like about Prince Edward Island